If you did not receive the information or level of service that you expected, or are otherwise dissatisfied with the University's handling of your request, you can complain to the University.

To do this please contact Information Compliance Services, giving full details of the original request and any response(s) you received.

Once we have processed your complaint we will let you know the outcome.

Information Compliance Services

Contact details

Further action

After you have received our response, if you are still dissatisfied you can contact the relevant Commissioner

If your request was made under data protection law, contact the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner

If your request was made under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 or the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004, contact the Scottish Information Commissioner.

Scottish Information Commissioner