Make a subject access request

Data protection law gives you the right to request the information the University holds about you, such as comments on examination scripts, and references.

This Act refers to you as a data subject, and the information the University holds about you is known as personal data. Your request is known as a subject access request.

This page contains information advice about the scope of requests we can answer and the timeframe by which we will respond.

Requests submitted through third party apps

We recommend that you make a request for information to the University by sending your request to following the guidance below.  However, if you choose to make a request through a third party online portal, please be aware that the University is not obliged to respond if we have to pay a fee or sign up to a service to view the request.  In other instances we may need to take further steps to verify your identity and check the third party is acting on your behalf to determine whether we are required to comply with a request.

Request for transcripts

If you need a transcript of your academic record or official statement confirming your degree results please see the Student Administration department website.

Student Administration official documents

Scope of request

Unfortunately, we cannot answer requests for all the information the University has about you, as this is too general a request for us to be able to find the information you want.

The University has over 15,000 staff spread over a large number of academic and administrative departments, most of which you will not have had any dealings with. Without more detailed information we do not know which ones to contact about your request.

Information that will help us answer your request includes:

  • The name(s) of the college, school or other area in whose records you would like us to look for information about you. You may want to think about the areas of the University with which you have had contact.
  • The type of information you are interested in, such as your student record or personnel file.
  • Your relationship with the University, such as student, member of staff, course applicant.
  • The date range of the information - for example, if you are interested in your student record, when were you a student with the University?

Verifying identity

Before we release information to you, we need to be confident of your identity, so we may ask you for additional information in order to verify it, for example a copy of your student or staff card, or passport.


We will normally answer requests for personal information made under data protection law within one month of receiving your request, and all information necessary to answer your request.

To make a subject access request

To make your request for information please contact Information Compliance Services, providing your contact details and describing the information you want.

Information Compliance Services

Contact details

When we communicate with you about your request, our emails may come from the email: on behalf of This is because of the case management system we use. More information is available through our request handling privacy notice.